Working at Camp Dark Waters is definitely not like any other job! Think you've got what it takes to become a "Professional Role Model" here? Read on to find out!
CHARACTERISTICS OF A SUCCESSFUL STAFF MEMBER
- Be a team player
- Enjoy working with children and genuinely care about their well being
- have high self-esteem and a positive outlook on life
- Be honest, responsible, and conscientious
- Be flexible and easy-going- even when the "unexpected" happens
- Have a good sense of humor and the ability to have fun with campers on their level
- Have the ability to run the activities to which you are assigned with patience and understanding
- Be a positive role model for children and take this responsibility seriously
- Get along with, enjoy being with, and respect, people of all ages who are coming from different backgrounds
- Have the ability to recall your own trials and triumphs as a youth to better understand your campers
WHAT CAN I EXPECT FROM A SUMMER AT CAMP DARK WATERS?
Working at camp is completely different than anything you've ever done before. It's long hours for little pay, but it's also an amazing experience that'll change your life forever! Here are a few things you should and shouldn't expect!
I can expect to...
- Make some of the best friends I've ever had - among campers and staff
- Feel good about the work I've done
- Learn a lot about others and myself- to teach others at the same time
- Find out just how great my sense of humor is
- Do some of the most embarrassing things I've ever done
- Have the greatest time doing some of the most embarrassing things I've ever done
- Work hard
- Work very hard
- Have fun
- Feel Frustrated at times
- Be exhausted - and beyond exhausted at times
- Be outdoors - a lot!
- Miss home - and occasionally wonder why I came
- Feel needed
- Experience incredible challenges, along with my campers
- Feel overwhelmed at first
- Be expected to follow rules - even when I don't agree with them
- Work with others who are VERY dedicated
- Be given more responsibility than I have ever had before
- Be expected to try my best, not be the best
- make a huge difference in other people's lives
- Live in close quarters with others who may be very different from myself
- Make mistakes and find out I'm not the only one to do so, and it's okay
- Cry or be very sad when it's time to say goodbye
- Sing Dark Waters songs all winter long
- Have had an experience with so many memories to take home with me that no one will quite understand - no matter how many photos I share or how long I talk
I should NOT Expect To...
- Be on vacation
- Be asked to do things I'm not able to do
- Ever be bored
- Have Hotel Accommodations
- Have a lot of privacy
- Have things always go the way I planned
- Eat gourmet food
- Have all of my needs met all of the time
- Contact the "outside world" much
- Have much free time
- Be in air conditioning
- Find that kids are always angels
- Be very clean most of the time
- Ever regret my camp experience
- Ever forget my camp experience!
THE REALITY IS, THIS MAY BE THE MOST DIFFICULT JOB YOU EVER HAD OR WILL EVER HAVE! BUT, IF YOU'RE READY TO GIVE IT 100%, IT WILL ALSO BE THE MOST REWARDING!